Sunday, September 26, 2010

nerd fest!

this saturday, we headed downtown to the national book festival. it's something i'd always wanted to go to, but never got around to actually attending. this year, when i found out who was going to be there, i decided we *had* to be there. curious to see who was the driving force behind this decision? read on!

we got to the festival and it was packed!
Photobucket
that's me and my sister in the lower left corner. (ugh, i hate pictures from the back!)

the festival was held right on the national mall just in front of the capitol.
Photobucket

we got there early because one of the people i HAD to see was speaking at 10:30. i was so, so, SO excited to hear her.

want to know who it was?

is the suspense killing you yet?

i know, i'm cruel.

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

people, i met the pioneer woman.
Photobucket
Photobucket

she was hilarious and warm and just as amazing as she is on her blog and in her cookbook. if you're not familiar with her, you *need* to start reading her site. her posts are awesome and recipes are amazing.

i even asked her a question.
Photobucket
i asked about her memoir, black heels to tractor wheels, that is in the works to be made into a movie. so cool. imagine, starting a blog one day, growing a readership that results in 18 million hits a month, publishing a best-selling cookbook based on the blog, being asked to write another book based on a series of blog posts and then having that book made into a movie! crazy.

i actually did meet her, but you'll have to keep reading to find out how that happened. ;)

after ree spoke, we went to stand in line for mem fox's book signing. she was the other reason i went. judith viorst, rosemary wells, and katherine paterson were some authors whom i love and respect and were also present, but i just adore mem fox. there is just something magical about her storytelling. her books are always favorites in my classroom.

i bought new copies of these books to add to choi boy's library and brought them to have mem sign them.
Photobucket

we waited in line for a good 30 minutes. and it was hot. the kind of gross, humid, nasty hot that you only get in dc. it was 95 degrees. hi, it's fall...apparently, the weather in dc didn't get the message.

we waited and waited and waited some more. all to be turned away! boo! i was so sad. seriously, crushed. so crushed that we had to go eat lunch to make me feel better.

amazing pizza and chopped salad did make me feel better.

i even managed a smile.
Photobucket
(sidenote: isn't my sister gorgeous? we don't really look alike -- i look like dad, she looks like mom, but you can tell we're sisters because we both have those weird cheekbones that make us look like we're hiding an egg under each cheek when we smile. really, look closely. you'll see what i mean.)

we headed back to the festival so i could at least hear mem speak.
Photobucket

she was wonderful. she told us about growing up in africa and being the only white child in her school. a school that met under a tree and where she learned to write using her finger and tracing letters in the earth. amazing!

she read my favorite book of hers, whoever you are, and told us that she would read this everyday to her prematurely-born grandson while he was in the incubator.
Photobucket
i totally cried.

while i was listening to mem, peter very kindly waited in line for me at ree drummond's book signing. isn't he nice?

this time, i was able to get my book signed. yay!

now, i've met/encountered a fair number of famous people in my day: shaq, carson daly (i went to TRL when i was interning at noggin in college), a good number of the mtv veejays back when there were veejays (noggin folks ate at the same cafeteria as the mtv, vh1, nickelodian folks), john mayer, steven curtis chapman, guilana depandi, paige davis, bob costas, the today show hosts, and others that i can't remember right now. but for some reason, i totally geek out the most when i meet authors.

i think it's because i feel connected to them like they're my people. and i just love them for what they do. i've met ann m. martin and jane yolen (they're alums of my college) and one day in college, i ran in to eric carle while buying lip balm. my college town was home to lots and lots of authors, and mr. carle could regularly be seen walking around town. i almost fainted when i met him. he is SO cute!

because of this, when i met ree and had her sign my cookbook, i was so excited and nervous. look how ridiculous i look talking to her.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
i'm like a child at disney world.

here's the cool part. volunteers from the junior league were running the book signings and they were taking pictures for their newsletter. out of all the people in line, they asked me and peter if we wouldn't mind taking a picture with ree for the newsletter. peter said no, thinking they were asking if we wanted to subscribe to the newsletter, but i cut him off and emphatically answered, "yes! we'll do it! yes!" which is funny, because the girl said she asked us because she needed pictures featuring men, not just women, so, as peter reminded me last night, *he* was the reason we got chosen. thanks, honey!

so, yes, we had a special photo taken with ree. she was asked to come to the front of the table (which she didn't do for anyone else!) AND she told me that she loved my necklace. twice. :) (confession: i bought that necklace for $4.17 at old n*vy.)

unfortunately, the photo i have of that moment is really unflattering, for me at least. i'll show you because i love ree and i love you but, you can see what bad posture i have, how the summer of eating has really taken a turn for the worse, and how gross and sweaty we were.

Photobucket
see?

but, definitely a cool moment, unflattering and all!

we didn't get to see all that the festival had to offer because it was absurdly hot and we were pooped from walking around in the heat. we do hope to be back next year, though, with choi boy in tow! if you haven't been to the book festival you should put it on your list - so worth it!

nerds rule!

29 comments:

  1. Oh! That's what those tents were for! My hubs and I just got back from our vacay in DC and when we were out on the Mall we wondered why these tents were obstructing our clear pics of the Capitol. How funny! Glad you had a great time of increasing your love of books and literacy!! I have whoever you are book too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun fun fun. We went a couple of years ago and loved it. Hopefully soon Ben will be a nerd like us and will want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun post! Sounds like a really fun day. I can't believe they turned you away when you tried to meet Mem. Rude.
    Love the picture of you, Peter, and Ree. How exciting! You don't look gross. You look cute and stylish as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun day! I'm so jealous. Sounds so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw! so jealous! next year, the ros are coming with you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun!!! I'm jealous you got to meet Pioneer Woman. I love her! I also love Mem Fox's books, especially Koala Lou. NC didn't get the message it's fall yet either. It was 95 here on Saturday, too. Will it ever get here? I'm so ready.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I go with you next year?!? So cool! I didn't even know about this super cool festival! Tell me about the heat - I tried doing a long run on Friday and couldn't do it. Today is definitely cooler.

    BTW - I wanted to tell you that I love your necklace too! Awesome deal! :)

    Can't wait for tonight!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! That is so cool, I've never heard of a book festival but I would love to attend! I love that you met Ree and Mem AND got books signed. So jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm soooo jealous! I LOVE the pioneer woman! I read her blog post about the book festival, and it was hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Book nerds unite! I love this post so much Grace! First of all, you're right your sister is gorgeous and SO ARE YOU! My goodness, you both are totally beautiful. I did laugh about your egg comment, you are so funny :) Second, as I was reading this post and thinking about your love of children's books and children in general, I was thinking (quite selfishly) that I wished you were Max's future teacher. Sigh.... maybe we should move back to DC! And now I need to go get Whoever You Are by Mem Fox, sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What an awesome experience. I love these authors that you were able to meet! I'm so jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are second person in two days who has talked about her site, heading over there. Sounds fun, and you looked great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. sounds fun! glad you had a good time

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. What an AWESOME experience!!! Was the Pioneer Woman as delicious as her recipes? Mmm...
    You really have a knack for meeting famous people, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  15. this was SO fun...I'm so glad we got to do this together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE that you had a chance to go! My school's librarian went last year and was telling me all about it. I'm SUPER glad you got a few pictures of the interpreter on stage on the far right side! whoooo!!! (Can you tell i'm DEAF?)

    Will that picture of you and your hubby with the Pioneer Woman be in a magazine? Just curious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oooooh fun!
    (never knew you met eric carle in noho! =) )

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sorry, I'm sure there are a million comments I should be making, but I'm so jealous that you met the pioneer woman *AND* had your photo taken with her that I can't see straight. I'm a book geek myself (I recently donated 110 books and you can't even see the dent) and you basically had my ideal day (heat and humidity aside).

    And I think you and your sister are both beautiful! Although the egg comment did make me laugh... not that I am one to talk. I look like I have mini-muffins in my cheeks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like you had a great time. How cool to meet people you admire and then get asked to be in a photo with them. Kudos to your DH for being there at the right time! Mine would have been sitting in the shade eating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I must admit - never heard of pioneer woman - but will add her to my Google Reader! Quite jealous of hearing so many cool authors - and yes, Mem Fox is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A hem - I think you are both pretty gorgeous!

    Glad you had fun at the book fest!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I.am.JEALOUS!!! The DC book festival is way better than the UCLA one I attend every year! I am also a HUGE book nerd. I have waited in many lines to have authors such as Eric Carle and Lois Ehlert sign my books. I L-O-V-E Mem Fox - she has transformed my thinking about reading and is the reason I got a Masters in reading!!! I would love to meet her. I hate to admit this but I have never heard of the Pioneer Woman - I need to check out her blog!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is so cool! I'll have to watch for the picture in the newsletter!!

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just about died when you commented that you PeeDub herself. And almost keeled over and died when I saw the photos of her wearing an Allora Handmade necklace!!! Soooo fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! Sounds really fun and interesting. And sounds like Choi Boy is going to have an excellent library of books! Now you just have to get some Korean books so he'll be prepared for Korean school! =)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a cool event! I have to send my friend a link to your blog...she's obsessed with the Pioneer Woman and will be super duper jealous! :)
    And by the way, you and your sister are way too gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really wanted to go to this! I told hubby all about it. So jealous! Take me next year!

    ReplyDelete

why, hello there! do you have something to say? 'cause i'd so love to hear it!