Tuesday, June 19, 2012

the chop.


Confession time.

I feel terrible admitting this, but I need to tell you that I haven't been completely truthful with you. Not outright lying per se... more like withholding the truth.

Because, you see, I don't really look like this anymore:
Why, you ask?

Well, two weeks ago, I chopped off a good seven inches of my hair. Hair that had looked the same for the last 8 years.

It wasn't a decision I came to lightly. In fact, ever since Christina Applegate was on Samantha Who?, I've had a hair crush on the cute and sassy curly bob. I hemmed and hawed over whether or not to cut my hair like Christina's. In the end, I chickened out, but since then, any time I've seen a celebrity with a cute curly bob, I had a bit of hair envy.

The kicker was when The Avengers came out and Scarlett Johansson (who normally annoys me) TOTALLY kicked butt and looked awesome with her curly bob. I was sold and decided to go for it.

With these three gorgeous inspiration shots in tow,
(sources 123)

I headed to my stylist who agreed that it was time for a change. She thought the cut would flatter my face shape and was excited to get to work.

I should tell you that the first time I chickened out was because I ultimately thought the cut and style was too mom-ish. And I swore that even when I became a mom, I did NOT want to succumb to looking like a soccer mom with that "mom chop." (Just as I swore I would NEVER wear holiday themed sweaters with long denim skirts even though I'm a Kindergarten teacher.) Don't get me wrong, I would love to be a soccer mom, I just don't want to look like one. And I know that soccer moms have come a long way (Hello, Victoria Beckham!), but I can't get over the short hair/high-waist pleated pants/minivan-driving image that has been ingrained in my head since the early 90s.

So, I would be lying (again) if I told you I wasn't nervous and worried the entire time I was getting my hair did. And I would be withholding the truth (some more) if I told you I wasn't feeling regret with every snip and that it was as though with every inch I lost, I was taunted with whispers of  "soccer mom...soccer mom...soccer mom."

After everything was done and there was no turning back, here's what it looked like:

But, instead of feeling cute and sassy and Black Widow-ish, this what I felt like:


Specifically, like the Rachel Dratch soccer mom. :( Especially because since the cut, it is as though the scales have fallen off my eyes and I see this cut and style everywhere... only on women over 50.

Do you think I should get my mom jeans in acid wash or stone wash?

Oh, and to make matters worse, when I asked CB what he thought, he said just about the worst thing he could. He told me I looked like my mom!!! I gasped and he patted my head and said, "But, it's okay, Mommy. You handsome."

Sigh. Just what I was going for.

I know, I know, it'll grow back. And I know, I'm being melodramatic and delusional about looking like a mom, because the fact is, I am a mom, which, by definition means I am what this mom looks like.

But I still won't touch a minivan with a ten-foot pole.

What are some mom-ish things you've sworn to never do?

13 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me?!?! I really like it! I'm sorry you don't. (Gosh, do I have a mom cut?!) Now I am going to be looking out for young non-moms who rock that cut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you serious? You look totally adorable! IMHO, its more mom-esque to keep the SAME haircut forever...Way to go out on a style limb :) And the mom jeans photo cracked me up. The 90s were really the heydey for mom fashion. We were born too late, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the 'do!! You looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks cute, but maybe have more layers cut into it? I know my hair always curls more when I have crazy layers going.

    I am against the soccer-mom image too, but my husband is insisting that we trade my car in for a mini van some day, so I just keep watching the "Swagger Waggon" video on youtube over and over and tell myself "Well, I can rock bake sales with my cupcake skills..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you!! I LOVE the cut and style, but totally get it. I'm such a wimp when it comes to cutting my hair. I'm proud of you for going for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahahaha!!! Hilarious post:) And I totally think you look like a teenager (younger) with it! Really, I do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is hilarious! And, as you know via instagram, I love the new, fresh 'do. However, this comes from an alternately long-haired and bobbed mother of two. My mom always made us have short hair (it's very practical you know and even lovelier when she gave into my pleading for a perm at age 8), so as an adult, I have lived out my long-haired fantasies, but always wind up cutting it and feeling lighter, lovelier and fresher. With your sense of style you are never in danger of becoming a soccer mom. You could truly pull off pajama jeans while driving a mini-van. And my "I would never" confession: sweatpants, a lot, even when I'm not working out. They are just so comfy. I'm definitely not putting my best fashion-foot forward most days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is hilarious!!! However, I really like the cut! I think it's a.dorable and not mom-ish at all. Just get yourself a dark leather outfit and you are totally black widow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your new cute is adorable, but I totally can relate to overanalyzing a new hair cut!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here are some harsh sister words: YOU ARE FREAKING INSANE. STOP THINKING YOU LOOK LIKE AN AHJUHMAH! YOU LOOK GORGEOUS! AND SASSY AND CHIC! I'd even say go a little shorter next time and get even more layered! I love it. I love you! and now quit it with your delusions before I hit you.

    mmk, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love love love your hairdo!!!
    Acid wash for sure :)
    As for mommy stuff that I swore I wouldn't do... hmm... let the dry skin on my feet take over. Ugh. Need a pedicure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please - that's no mom 'do! You look great! Seriously.
    Although I did love this post and the reminder of the SNL commercial for Mom Jeans :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think your haircut looks great...but I know what you mean...trying to avoid looking like a "mom."
    I think you have TONS of sassy style...only enhanced by your cute bob curls.
    And...take it from me...it will grow back. I've had every hairstyle imaginable...including being completely cue-ball BALD for the better part of a year. Ever since then I swore I'd never complain about having a bad hair day again...but I definitely draw the line at acid or stone-wash jeans. Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete

why, hello there! do you have something to say? 'cause i'd so love to hear it!