Tuesday, July 19, 2011

dry shampoo -- an infommerical.

after reading the many comments inquiring about dry shampoo, i thought i'd share my vast knowledge on the subject.

actually, i don't really have vast knowledge about it. i use it because my sister told me to. she has vast knowledge on this subject. she even wrote a paper about it. for credit. smart cookie she is.

anyway. you probably know by now that sulfates in shampoo are bad, bad, bad news bears. they are the same ingredients that are found in dish detergent, which make them extremely harsh on your hair, stripping it of its natural oils. over time, hair grows accustomed to shampoo and whenever it's not shampooed, your hair feels super greasy because the natural oils freak out and try to overcompensate for the oils that have been previously stripped. very technical terms, i know.

there are sulfate-free shampoos on the market, some better than others. i use the l'oreal brand, but if it wasn't so expensive, i'd use wen instead. you can also make your own non-shampoo, like this cool gal -- i definitely want to try this, but i'm not quite ready to make this big leap yet.

anyway, i wash my hair maybe once every 4-6 days. this includes days of "working out" (i.e. taking my dog for a brisk walk in the hot sun), swimming, etc. when i first started reducing the number of washes, it took a bit of time to "train" my hair to get used to the lack of shampoo. i'd start by washing every other day and wearing my hair up in a ponytail on the second day so the hair grease was less obvious. classy, i know. on non-hair-washing days, i simply put my hair in a ponytail or bun and hop in the shower. the ends of my hair will often get wet, but it's not a big deal. you can also be like my sister and wear an old lady shower cap instead.

dry shampoo helps reduce the grease in between washes. hence it being my BFF. :)

here's a quick and dirty how-to.

i can't believe i'm showing you this, but as in any infommerical, you totally need the scary black-and-white before shot:
Photobucket
greasy and nastypants. and apparently, i look like that scary thing from "the grudge" when i'm in black-and-white. not that i actually watch that scary stuff. eek.

step 1
grab sections of your hair and sprinkle the dry shampoo near the roots, but not directly on your scalp.
Photobucket
Photobucket

step 2
use your fingers to massage the dry shampoo into your hair.
Photobucket

step 3
repeat in other sections of your hair until the grease is eliminated. i usually end up going around the crown area, focusing specifically near my part where the grease is most visible.

and voila! non-greasy hair.
Photobucket

i use the oscar blandi dry shampoo that i bought at sephora. it's about $20. there are also drugstore versions and spray versions, but this is the only one i've used because my sister did her research and said this one was the one to go with. ;)
Photobucket

it's white and the same consistency of baby powder. at first, i was concerned that because my hair is dark, the dry shampoo would show, but once you really massage it in and it absorbs the grease and sweat (yum!), you can't see it. you have to be careful to not sprinkle on too much -- a little goes a long way. i've had this bottle since january and i'm not even halfway through!

good stuff. good, good stuff, i tell you.

okay, i think that answers all of your questions. if you have more, ask away. i'll bring in the big guns (aka, my sister) to help answer any other questions.

and because i can't leave you with that burning image of me from "the grudge," here is a cute picture of this little boy i know.
Photobucket

much better.
:)


p.s. oscar blandi and his peeps do not know i'm writing this. i just love this stuff so much, i had to share. grace + dry shampoo = tru luv.

15 comments:

  1. strange but intriguing.

    LQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I love the reference to the Grudge. Secondly, I think I need to try some of that. I wash my hair EVERY DAY and I don't have the luxury of a ponytail. Thanks for the hot tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sold! I am going to have to try it. That "before" black and white is too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is pretty on point! This morning was a perfect example of a good before and after. I had a serious mess of grease on my head, and now, it's all luscious and crap ;)
    I've tried a few different brands because I'm crazy like that, and this product definitely is my favorite. Remember, don't squeeze the bottle. EVER. Just shake it over your head and it will come out like a salt shaker. I find that my hair styles much better a couple days after it's been washed, so it's an added bonus. Also, my sister is right when she says you will definitely smell like you washed your hair in froot loops, but I don't mind it. Just makes me want cereal.....Let me know if you have any other Qs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are hilarious. love the before and after shots! i'm going to look into this. i did an experiment last winter where i didn't wash my hair for a week. it actually was really gross in the beginning, but it got less greasy as the week went on. and, i really loved the feeling of washing it afterward!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wash my hair just about every day (which stinks) so I've always been intrigued by the concept of dry shampoo (is it also called no-poo sometimes? Cuz I like to say that.) Anyway, now that I am *completely* informed on the topic thanks to you, I may just have to head to sephora and take the plunge! Thanks for the 411, my friend. Love the photo of CB, he is so adorable and ... I hate to say it .... getting older!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I might just have bad dreams about your Grudge look. ;)
    Thanks for the infomercial... I've been contemplating the addition of dry shampoo to my beauty (ha!) routine.
    Here's my question though: you, as a Korean, have VERY different hair than I, a Caucasian chick with super-fine, super-thin hair. How will the dry shampoo work on my own hair?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dry shampoo, in my opinion, actually works best on caucasian hair. It seems to blend better with finer strands as long as you are applying the right amount. It takes a little bit of practice to get the application right, but while convincing my friends, co-workers, family, to try this product, I've virtually tested it on most hair types out there. My roommate who has super thin hair now can't live without Blandi's Pronto as she said her hair gets greasier faster than mine ;) I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. To those with super-fine, thin hair, aka me! This does help, I learned about it when I became a Mom. I have now trained mt hair to skip a day and be able to look presentable in public (with dry shampoo of course!) I use the PSSST...kind from the drug store. I have tried all kinds and like this best becuase the spray give volume (some thing I need) I give a bottle alone with every baby shower gift I give...new mom's need to be in the know! Okay, now I look obsessed witht the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Choi Boy looks so big in that picture!

    I can't believe you can make it 4-5 days without washing your hair! Although, when I had my big surgery in March, I went NINE whole days which blows my mind. And dry shampoo got me through. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been curious about dry shampoo for a while. I know it's been around for a while and was usually available in camping stores for people who go into the woods and can't wash their hair for days. In any case, I think I'll try it, although I'm wondering the same thing as Elizabeth since I have thin Caucasian hair. And now I have to go check my shampoo for sulfates...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will have to keep a look out for that brand here in Aus. I have tried Tony & Guy, I can only get two days without washing. I have tried Cedel which sounds great as it sprays brown, but it really doesn't do anything and I am so greasy by lunch time the second day. Finally this week I have tried Lee Stafford and I happy to report I am on my third day and I don't look greasy!! I really like the sound of your brand and will be searching for it! I will also try using Shampoo that is sulfate free - thanks for that tip!
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  13. i too have the oscar blandi one. I have a cheapie spray one from the drugstore but the former is works much better. i saw the informercial for wen- what are your thoughts on it? do you love it?? maybe i should give it a whirl. i'm intrigued by tsh's baking soda concoction but too scared to try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. interesting. i had no idea dry shampoo existed, but now i am very intrigued. i may have to give it a try.
    choi boy looks happy as ever. love seeing pics of him

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to try this. I noticed that a Sephora opened closer to my home, so I am going to see if I can get this shampoo there.

    ReplyDelete

why, hello there! do you have something to say? 'cause i'd so love to hear it!